The boring bits I’ll try to do in a non-boring way:
- software engineer
- live in the UK
- freelance WordPress, WooCommerce, Laravel, and general API consultant. I can write you custom plugins, gateways, packages, as long as it’s server side
- occasionally I speak at meetups / conferences
Stuff you should know about me
I’m big on privacy, maintaining others’, keeping mine as much as possible. I’m big on security as well. That means I will fight back if / when I’m asked to implement something that’d leak users’ details, passwords, etc against their will, or unbeknownst to them.
I’m big on honesty and UX, that means that I will not implement dark patterns. Full stop. I will not work for, or implement anything that has to do with Facebook.
My job is to figure out what problem you actually want to solve, which will most probably mean I will contradict you and offer different / better alternatives to your first few ideas. I like a functional and efficient internet. I want to work with you if we share this mindset.
I’m very invested in social justice, diversity, and inclusion, and as a white man, I feel it is my duty to move the needle of everything around me towards being better for everyone. That means I’ll use the singular they, replace words like “blacklist” with non-racist alternatives, and generally call out people unknowingly being hurtful. I need you to be okay with this.
- 28th October, 2014, Bath, United Kingdom: Bath Digital Festival — Held a Ghost workshop for about 10 people
- 21st November, 2014, Budapest, Hungary: OneShot conference organised by Risingstack. — I spoke about what I learned building Ghost.
- 18th August, 2017 - Brighton, UK: WordCamp Brighton - Things you didn’t know you need to know about databases and WordPress
- Recorded session of the Brighton talk on WP Sessions: https://wpsessions.com/sessions/wp-databases-and-indexes/
- 6th August, 2019 - WordPress Bristol meetup - a talk about defensive coding